On this Thanksgiving week of 2007 I have taken off work for the entire week and headed to Oklahoma for some eating, visiting, and relaxing. Here is a littlepastor rundown of my week:
- I attended a church Sunday morning that I had no responsibilities at. No one knew who I was, and if the children’s workers didn’t show up it wasn’t my problem! Nice!
- We had sushi at a great little restaurant in Tulsa with some friends. Yes, you read that correctly.. sushi in Tulsa, OK. It can happen.. not the friends part, the eating sushi in Tulsa part.
- I got my teeth cleaned at the Dentist, along with my wife who had to come back the next day for some fillings. Shouts out to my old roommate, Dr. Shoop for taking such good care of my family!
- We went to The Bee Movie with the kids and grandparents. The movie lived up to it’s buzz (pun intended.)
- I slept until the unheard of hour of 11am on Wednesday, while the in-laws took Starr and the kids shopping for clothes all day long. Not a bad way to spend your morning, in bed that is.
- I had pizza at Mazzio’s. Only those outside of the current Mazzio’s Pizza area, can truly appreciate a slice of the pizza I grew up on. Those who live in the area are probably rolling their eyes.
- I went with my father to see ‘No Country For Old Men.’ It doesn’t exactly carry the ‘Children’s Pastor’ seal of approval, but it did introduce one of the creepiest villains in a movie that I’ve ever seen.
- I had my first Thanksgiving meal at 12noon on Thursday, and my second one at 4pm. It’s my 15th year in a row to eat two Thanksgiving meals.
- I had 4 slices of pie after Thanksgiving dinner, yes you read that correctly, I had 4 slices. One apple, one pecan, one cherry, and one pumpkin; I just couldn’t play favorites. And in case your wondering I’m a feather over 140 pounds. Ok, maybe a feather and an eyelash.
- I watched the Dallas Cowboys beat the New York Jets. That makes us 3-0 versus New York city teams.
- I watched The Family Man with my family to kick off the official Christmas season. What a great movie!
- I did NO shopping on Black Friday.
- I pulled out the new Jars of Clay Christmas CD, and my old Sufjan Stevens Christmas CD’s! It’s now officially Christmas music time!
Saturday morning we will load up and start the 8 hour trek back to Lubbock, and the snowy plains of West Texas. Sunday morning I will jump back into the greatest job I’ve ever had, and then be back at work Monday morning. I love the chance to put Lubbock in my rear view mirror sometimes, but it’s really nice to live somewhere that you look forward to returning too.