I finished reading through the book of Mark this morning. I’m doing a special 2008 New Testament read through using the Message Bible. I’ve used the Message Bible for years, but never on a complete read through like this.
I’ve always thought of Mark as the ‘Cliff Notes’ version of the Gospels. It’s shorter than the other Gospels, and the writer gets right into the story of Jesus from the beginning. No long introductions to anything, just bang-bang-bang through the whole story of Christ.
Here are some of my thoughts:
- 1:23-24 -Jesus’ arrival wasn’t a secret to the bad guys
- 2:28 -I love the Message Bible interpretation of this verse
- 5:34 -The great ‘risk of faith’
- 6:35-44 & 8:1-10 -Four thousand, five thousand, what’s the big deal? Jesus took care of the big crowds with style
- 6:53-56 -The ‘Fame’ of Jesus is spread. This is the public ministry of Jesus getting off the ground
- 9:35 -What place in line are you?
- 10:27 -Giving God a chance
- 10:45 -Jesus paid the price, released the prisoners, met the ransom…
- 12:28-34 -Because Jesus said so, that why!
- 13 -This entire chapter is a sharp rebuke.
- The writer of Mark absolutely speeds through the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. Chapters 15 & 16 are great reminders of the price that has been paid.