This weekend I took the family to Tulsa to witness in person my little brother’s Graduation from High School. With it being a holiday weekend it made a good weekend to get out of Lubbock. Monday also happens to be Ryan’s 6th Birthday, so it really worked out perfect to have a Grandparents, Aunt, & Uncle birthday party.
I don’t miss many weekends at the church, but when I do it just feels so strange. It’s good to ‘be away’ every once in a while, and I have an awesome team of staff and volunteers that will have it running perfectly in my absence. But it just feels so weird. Here’s a glimpse into how different this is for me.
- I actually went to a late movie last night. A Saturday Night. The night before a Sunday. This is strange.
- I slept til 8:15am on a Sunday morning. I’m usually at the church before 7:00am. Trust me, sleeping til 8:15am an a Sunday only happens once or twice a year. This is strange.
- It’s 9am, and I’m sitting in the living room watching Mythbusters and blogging, while I wait for my wife to finish getting dressed for going to Lifechurch.tv (Tulsa) this morning. This is strange.
- We will go to church as a family this morning. All of us in the car. Three kids, my wife, and me. All together driving to a church. This is strange.
- I get to go to a church this morning and sit on my butt. I don’t have a job, and I get to park in visitor parking. This is strange.
- I’m just Jonathan this morning. I’m not Pastor Jonathan. Nobody will complain about something that is wrong, and nobody will ask for my keys. I’m just Jonathan, and this is strange.
I miss my church, and can’t wait to get back at it next Sunday. But I’m really going to work on just enjoying myself this morning. It’ll be strange, but it’ll be great!