- I passed a mobile billboard this morning attached to a semi-truck. It was red with black letters, and said, “Go Tech! Beat OU!” Is it really necessary to advertise who you are rooting for?
- I think every store front in Lubbock says something to the effect of “BEAT OU!” And yes…we even have our regards on the electronic sign in front of the church.
- Thousands of cars in town have GO TECH flags dangling from somewhere…or painted on the windows!
- Who ever sells those full-size Tech flags is making a killing! There are so many homes with Red Raider flags flying, it’s creepy.
- My boys are picking up on the enthusiasm, and I’m not sure how to handle it. Last Sunday my 5 year old Dylan walks into the living room as I’m watching the Dallas Cowboy game; and starts jumping up and down at the sight of football while yelling, “Go Tech! Guns Up Baby!” I’d like to apologize to all my family for this, but I honestly didn’t teach him this at home.
- And the best of all appeared on my television screen last Saturday Night. I’m watching a college football game, and the local ABC affiliate pops with this a tag-liner that simply read…“ONLY 168 hours until game time!” It has been counting down for days now. Tonight I expect it to be somewhere around 72 hours.
So as I gather with some Oklahoma-friendly friends on Saturday Night I will be publicly pulling for my Sooners…but somewhere inside of me I’m beginning to pull for my hometown team. I can’t help it. I need therapy. God. Help. Me.