I’ve been in church most all of my life. (Please don’t hold that against me.) Every week I hear words and think that if I hadn’t grown up in church I would have never heard them. Let’s go ahead and remove “true” Christian and/or Spiritual words like righteousness, holiness, sin, forgiveness, or atonement. I’m talking about good clean fun church words; the kind of words that we’ve adopted from the King James Version and woven them into the normal church vernacular. These are words you just NEVER hear outside of a church setting. Get it?
Here are some I’ve come up with:
- I understand that this is a theological word; but I’ve been told to appropriate my faith for just about every area of life. I’m still not totally sure how I appropriate things into my marriage…
- This is commonly worked into offering sermons. As a kid I always thought of the Devourer being some sort of villain that would battle Superman. I get the principle of Malachi 3:11, I just think the word Devourer is a weird overused word.
- As a pastor I regularly work Romans 8:1 into counseling meetings, but I’m not sure I would hear this word outside of church. Isn’t there a more understandable word?
- I dare you to suggest deliverance to the next co-worker that complains about their teenager. Double-dog dare you!
- Anyone want to testify?
- Usually involves cooking oil; and sometimes requests for a “double-portion.”
I have a few others in mind, but I’d love to hear some others… If my descriptions confused you, then check out this great resource. Church-Speak 101