Spent a great time this morning in the first Pre-Conference Breakout with Brian Vanderark from Ada Bible Church, and Tim Vandlen from Blythefiled Hills Baptist Church. They shared on “Building an Apprentice Mindset.” Here is much of what they shared in their breakout:
“One Day you will be replaced…”
How do you implement an Apprentice Mindset?
1. Create the Expectation in your volunteers, staff, and culture.
- Put it in everyone’s job description: “I will recruit new volunteers!”
- Personally model it.
- Provide multiple Entry Points for volunteers to “try out” ministry.
2. Mobilize volunteers to replace themselves
- Ask volunteers the question: “Who do you know that can do what you do?”
- Equip the team to recruit to Vision, not to Need.
3. Engage Students in serving opportunities as part of their discipleship.
- Letting students Watch, Do, and then Talking about it.
- There was lots of talk here about how to get students ministries to work with children’s ministry. Good Stuff!
4. Three Practical Steps to Implementing:
- Break it Down
- Hand it Off
- Let it Go
5. Learn from Failure and Celebrate Success
Stay Tuned for more Orange 2010!