This week I’ll be covering some of the more dumb things I’ve ever done as a Children’s Pastor. Be sure to visit www.jonathancliff.com/tags/dumbthings to keep up with all the dumb-ness happening here this week!
Again while in Dallas I pulled one of the most stupid stunts ever. As a not-lover of puppets (is that a phrase?), I decided instead that it would be cool to have a costumed character visit the kids each week. Great idea so far, right? It all started when I saw this super great, and super cheap gorilla costume at Party City. I lost you with the word gorilla, didn’t I? All the costume consisted of was a pair of gorilla feet, gorilla hands, and a scary gorilla mask. So easy to pull off, and makes for a super quick costume change.
So our friendly Kidmin gorilla makes his first apperance on Sunday morning. I had some accompanying music that was light and cheery; and I prepared the kids beforehand that we had a gorilla friend making a visit. Here is how it goes down:
- The gorilla appears on stage.
- Children scream hysterically.
- Girl on the front row goes into a horror stage of shock.
- That same girl pees on herself.
- The volunteers in the room freeze and don’t know what to do.
- I’m stuck with my friendly gorilla on stage, trying to carry on a conversation while children begin to cry and run from the room.
- I finally tell the gorilla to leave stage, and have to yell at some volunteers to please help our peed-on girl up front.
I’m still so ashamed. Can’t believe how stupid I was to think this was a good idea. However, this gorilla costume did make a great scare toy for me to freak out my kids at home. Score!