I was talking to someone the other day about job-related stress; and as I listened to them go on and on about how hard their job is and how stressful it was for them to work with certain people something dawned on me. I realized that often when it comes to my role here at the church, I don’t really carry a ton of stress. I’m not saying that church-work is stress free, but that I’ve learned to manage work related stress easier than other kinds of stress.
I can remember stressing out in a major way about big upcoming church events, or meeting with certain people on my staff and dreading every interaction and potential failure. However, I really don’t stress about it too much anymore. I would say that maybe I’ve learned that some things will work themselves out, and many of the dramas associated with church and ministry will work them selves out just fine without me stressing out over them.
So what do I stress out about? That’s a question I walked away from the above conversation thinking through… and here are 5 things I came up with:
- My wife stresses me out. Now hold your horses before you go jumping to conclusions, my wife is a terrific person and does nothing in and of herself to purposefully stress me out. What I mean is that if things are not right between us, it stresses me out. I need the two of us to be on the same page on 90% of what’s happening in our lives, or I will feel massive amounts of stress.
- My kids super-stress me out. Now here I’ll hold nothing back, plain and simply they stress me out. They yell when they should be quiet, then don’t always do as they’re told, they leave little things on the floor for me to step on when I have my shoes off, and they rarely act considerate in any way. But of course they’re kids, so what can they do about any of that? I’m not saying it ruins my day, but if I don’t have the right perspective when I get home…my kids will stress me out.
- My future stresses me out. I don’t always like this “not knowing” part of life, and it can stress me out occasionally.
- Money stresses me out. Not the “how will I ever spend this much” kind of stress, but the “I need more of this” kind of money stress. I’m getting better, but honestly it has a tendency to stress me out.
- Work. I know I said earlier that work doesn’t stress me out a ton, but I’d be lying if I said it NEVER stresses me out. Particularly the part of managing a group of diverse individuals, and wanting God’s best for them while at the same time being held accountable to God’s best for my church. This always stresses me out the most at my work part of life.
Anything you stress about? Or am I the only person in the entire world that carries a little bit of stress around with me? Do share in the comment section RIGHT NOW!